Thomas Cook wins fake holiday illness case
Friday, July 14, 2017

A County Court judge has ordered a couple to pay court costs after they falsely claimed they had been taken ill on a Thomas Cook all-inclusive holiday.

Court rules state claimants are not at risk of paying costs even if they lose the case, unless it can be demonstrated to the court that they had been fundamentally dishonest.

The judge at Liverpool County Court yesterday concluded the couple, who hoped to sue Thomas Cook for £10,000, had indeed been 'fundamentally dishonest' and had not suffered any illness at all.

As such, the claimants were ordered to pay £3,744 within 28 days.

Thomas Cook said this is the first of a number of cases it will take to court where necessary when it sees claims for illness which were 'unreported in resort and which demonstrate a clear lack of evidence'.

In a statement, the operator said: "This is a significant case which sends a clear message to claimants - we will not pay claims which we believe to be dishonest, and we will take further action where necessary.

"It is hoped that that this judgment is reflective of increasing judicial awareness of the industry's concerns about the prevalence of fraud and demonstrates that the courts will not sanction dishonest claims, or accept claimants' evidence at face value."

The couple, Julie Lavelle and her partner Michael McIntyre, booked a 14-day all-inclusive holiday for themselves and their two young children at the Parque Cristobal Hotel, Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria from July 29-August 12 2013.

 Read on

http://www.tourexpi.com/en-intl/news.html~nid=135099&u=8cc1c2424443f42b1b6aa87399633a49&frmnw

      
No comments yet

Add/Edit Comment 
Name *
eMail  Will not be published!
Homepage  Will not be published!
Security Code Security Code
Enter Security Code  Case INSENSITIVE
Comment *
 Notify on follow-up  (E-mail address required)
Note: If you are a registered user, on login these form fields
will be pre-filled with your information.